1. Use a cloth dampened with vinegar and sprinkled with a little baking soda to clean the inside of your microwave. Rinse off the residue with warm water and vinegar. You can also heat up a bowl of vinegar or a bowl of water with lemon in it. The moisture from the steam will loosen the food residue and make it easier to wipe away.
2. Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of your kitchen garbage can to absorb wetness and odors.
3. Add white vinegar to warm water for a perfect rinse for your freshly washed floor. This will remove any soap residue and leave the floor shiny. Vinegar is safe to use on wood, vinyl, tile, linoleum and most other floor coverings.
4. Remove hard water stains from your tea kettle with vinegar. Pour equal amounts of vinegar and water into your tea kettle and bring to the boil. Let sit for 24 hours, then rinse.
5. Remove mold from the shower without using bleach. Mix ¼ cup vinegar with ½ cup baking soda and add 10 drops of tea tree oil. Spread the paste into the corners of your shower enclosure and around the drain. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes and then scrub off the mold with a sponge. You can also use an old toothbrush to get into the cracks.
6. Remove water spots on your metal shower enclosure with lemon oil. Simply cut a lemon in half, rub onto the water marks and rinse.
7. When cleaning your home, start from the top and work your way down. Dust shelves and knick knacks first, using a dry, anti-static cloth, wipe down walls and remove cobwebs, then vacuum. Vacuuming last will pick up any dust and dirt that became airborne during cleaning.
8. Moisturize wood furniture with olive oil. You don’t need harmful chemicals to moisturize and protect your fine wood. Simply pour a small amount of olive oil on a cloth and then polish the wood using circular strokes. Add more oil as needed.
9. After washing shower curtains and bathmats, hang them to dry outside in the sun, to kill mold and remove stains.
10. Remove garlic and onion odors from your wooden cutting board with lemon. Cut a lemon in half and rub it all over the board. Let sit overnight. The lemon oil removes odors and conditions the wood.
11. Put 10 drops of your favorite essential oil (peppermint, lavender, tea tree etc.) on a paper towel and place on the bottom shelf of your fridge to keep it smelling fresh. This can also be placed in closets and drawers to keep linens fresh.
12. Banish odors in the trash compactor by grinding up half a lemon or orange. Also put citrus rinds in the garbage can to freshen the smell.
13. Put salt or baking soda on a fresh grease spill, let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it up with ease. This also works for raw egg spills on counters and floors.
14. Place throw rugs at your front to prevent dirt from being tracked into the house. Launder regularly.